Adapting the Playground for Everyone
What we do...
Whistler Adaptive is committed to introducing individuals with a disability to sport, recreation and therapeutic sport programming. Whistler Adaptive supports sport for life by breaking down the financial, physical and social barriers as well as creating skills that will lead to future employment within sport and beyond.
Whistler Adaptive empowers individuals through access to one of the world’s best mountain resorts, providing them with the environment, support and opportunity to become physically active and focus on their abilities rather than disabilities. Programs are accessible to both children and adults with cognitive and physical disabilities. Whistler Adaptive serves locals in its community and visitors from across Canada and around the globe.
All activities are run in a safe and supportive environment, allowing athletes to learn at their own pace. We pride ourselves on being able to change lives through the innovative sports programs we offer and the help we provide. Whistler Adaptive paves the way by increasing knowledge of adaptive sports through training and coaching clinics and values the consistent support that we receive from our volunteers. We seek to remove barriers to adventure and learning by training athletes with a real sense of passion.
OVER 20 YEARS, 18 SPORTS PROGRAMS AND GROWING…
The Whistler Adaptive Sports Program Society has been in operation for over 20 years with a record 3,000+ lessons taught in 18 adaptive sports. Through generous donations, we allocate resources for equipment and volunteer training to work with a range of individuals and athletes. Alpine skiing and racing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, hiking and trail riders, hand-cycling, biking, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, swimming, triathlons, running, yoga and gymnastics are all part of Whistler Adaptive programming and our philosophies on “Grassroots to the Podium” and “Sport for Life”.
How we do it...
The people here at Whistler Adaptive feel that sport builds socialization, leadership skills, healthy growth and development for everyone, whether they have just acquired a disability or have been active all their lives. By providing access to a vast number of sports across the winter and summer seasons, we are opening doors to endless opportunities and creating new levels of independence for individuals with disabilities.
With a full range of programs, coaches, facilities and a great home base, Whistler Adaptive is committed to developing athletes at the grassroots level all the way to the podium while encouraging participation in sport for life. In adaptive sport, Whistler Adaptive leads the way by:
- Increasing knowledge of adaptive sports with instructors and volunteers through a number of training and coaching clinics
- Expanding the range of adaptive sports programs and forming pilot initiatives to adapt more sports like sailing, biathlon and outrigger canoeing
- Offering programs through four seasons, matched with accommodation, training facilities, coaching and career development
- Increasing bursaries for students with financial need and for specialist groups traveling to Whistler
- Supporting core operational needs to keep program fees as low as possible for participants
- Creating partnerships with local businesses and organizations so that Whistler Adaptive can continue operate with mainly volunteers and two full-time, year-round employee.
Having harnessed the legacy of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, Whistler Adaptive continues to champion grass roots to competitive sports, recreation and therapeutic programming in Whistler for individuals with a disability and support the Resort’s commitment to being the most inclusive mountain community in the world.