The Whistler Adaptive Sports Program changes lives for people with disabilities. Whistler Adaptive is committed to introducing as many individuals with a disability and neurodiversities as possible to sport and recreation by breaking down the financial, physical, and social barriers as well as creating skills that will lead to future employment, independence, and confidence.
• Preference to hire a currently registered university or college student with a priority given to those who have completed a minimum of a second year and preference to hire individuals with a disability or neurodiversity.
• Preference given to those who are currently certified in CPR B and First Aid (will include in training if not current).
• Ability to instruct individuals in group based outdoor sport and recreation activities.
• Some knowledge of various physical disabilities and neurological diversities
• Knowledge of some or all the following activities: hiking, mountain biking (2 & 3 wheel), canoe, kayaking, SUP, strength and conditioning, physical literacy, sailing. Must be willing to learn these sports and more.
• Computer proficiency and knowledge of Microsoft 365 an assert.
• Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident between 15 and 30 years of age, as the position is funded through a Canada Summer Jobs grant.
The Summer Program Leader is an integral position in the summer operations of Whistler Adaptive. In the summer, Whistler Adaptive offers hiking, mountain biking (2 & 3 wheel), paddle sports (canoeing, SUP and kayaking), sailing, rowing, yoga, strength & conditioning, and more to people with cognitive, physical, and sensory disabilities, as well as neurodiversities. Within the listed sports and activities, the Summer Program Leader will be able to perform a complete assessment of students, determine adaptive equipment needs, set goals and plan lessons, assist our instructors and coaches to lead activities, document progress, maintain records, and assist our instructors and coaches to make recommendations for future lessons. As needed, the Summer Program Leader will also assist with general administration, marketing, and fundraising. The position will report to the Volunteer and Training Program Manager. As a requirement of the position, the successful applicant must obtain a satisfactory criminal record check prior to beginning employment. Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for application: Friday, April 9, 2021 at 4:30 pm
Posting Date: March 7, 2022 Organization: Whistler Adaptive Sports Program Term: Start date May 16th 2022, for a 16 week term
Hours: 37.5hrs/week, schedule dependent on programming needs (may vary during 2 week initial training period)